P2 - First Draft
Omniya
Tajni
P2: Describe how the sound elements are produced
Sound is created in different way for different media
products. It’s not just the sound in the scene/location that is recorded. Sound
artists record more sound separately, enabling the sound to have the effect
they would like it to have.
Techniques
Foley sounds are used to create the realism of a specific
soundtrack or sound needed. Foley sounds are often recording in a creative and
crafted way that microphones on set often miss. This can be either the bang of
a door or just normal footsteps, provides a touch of realism. The Foley artist
usually becomes the actor in some ways, as the sound they are creating needs to
be convincing, so they need to act the part. The pace and timing need to be
specific in order for it to synch with the actual character’s actions. A Foley
sound recording stage includes craft of all sorts such as cutlery, trays, tin
cans, shoes. Foley artists can be as creative as possible. There is usually a Foley
artist who creates the sound and a technician who records and edits the sound. I
will be using Foley sounds in my production as I will try and link what the
interviewees will be saying, and record sound based on that.
Wild tracks are used to enhance the believability of the
atmospheric sounds in a media product. This could be a crowded street, busy
restaurant or a park. Wild tracks are often known as off-screen sound; because
they are recorded after the main footage or action has been captured. For
example, footage in a park may not have naturalistic sounds, the wild track of
this will then be layered over the footage and add to the realism of the
product.
Voice-overs are used in audio-visual products; they can be
used as an unseen narrator. The narration helps set the scene and is usually
informative. Like in the TV show Riverdale, one of the characters, Jughead,
usually starts of the episode with a narration about the town and what has
happened, this sets the scene for the audience. Scripted speech allows the
actors to deliver their lines in a specific way to add realism. Actors usually
rehearse scenes they have with each other, so they are able to practice and
react as believable as possible.
Equipment
Recording sound is not just with a normal microphone, there
are a lot of specialist recording equipment that are used to record sound on
location or wild tracks.
For my production I will be using a Zoom H5 Recorder. The
reason for this is because it is hand held and portable and due to the fact
that I will be interviewing different sound tracks in different locations, it
will be very mobile for me to take with me and record the audio in the
different locations.
Sound
formats and file types
Sound formats are used for different purposes. My sound
format will be suitable for web distribution as my sounds will be heard online
on a digital platform. Therefore, the format I will need to record and save my
sounds as when I edit them will be as an mp3 file, this is because the website
I will be uploading it on will support this and will allow the sound to be
heard at a good level. I will be using Garage Band to edit the sound I have
recorded.
Comments
Post a Comment