D1 - Resubmission


Omniya Tajni
D1: Evaluate how the technical and auditory qualities meet the identified purpose

When I finished creating my radio segment, I presented it to the 2 clients Tamasha and Coney and created a focus group in order to gain feedback and suggestions to anything that I can improve to make it better.

Presenting my product to a fours group was a huge benefit as it allows me to gain detailed feedback from the clients included, as they would be very specific and make suggestions to what I can do to improve my final product. In my focus group, I was able to receive positive feedback as well as slight improvements that I could make to improve my final product and make it even better. 

The members of the audience really liked the topic that I decided to focus on and how restaurants in the borough bring individuals together due to the fact that it is local. This allows me to meet the client brief as I was able to explain and talk about location in Tower Hamlets that means something to people. 

I took every feedback I received into consideration, as they were very positive and the suggestions were clearly outlined and understandable. One of the clients suggested that if possible I should go back and ask the staff member to talk me through on making a dessert for a customer, as this is a radio segment the audience won’t be able to see how the dessert looks like but if they spoke and explained it the audience it would make a huge impact to the radio segment as the audience would be able to get a visual image in their head based on how the staff member explains it. Another suggestion that a client has said was it would have been ideal to add a personal element to the radio segment, this would have also impacted my radio segment as the audience would also be able to see the hosts perspective and their personal attachment to the topic discussed.

One of the clients wrote that in my 3rd interview I should cut down the background noise in the interview as it was too long, however I wasn't able to do this as the background noise was there while I was interviewing the dessert staff member, so although I appreciate this feedback it would have been extremely hard for me to cut it out, but I know for next time when I decide to interview someone to make sure I am in a quiet environment and then add any additional sound, where it will be applicable. 

I believe that my product has met the requirements of the client, as in the brief it has been stated that I should record 3 different people. One should be a family, friend and a stranger. I have achieved this very well because I was able to interview a friend of mine that I have known over a year, my cousins’ wife and the stranger being a dessert staff member. They all speak about their link to dessert restaurants and how it has an impact on their lifestyle and the benefits on the fact it is local. Although there are many different dessert places located all across the city, the 3 individuals I interviewed were residents of Tower Hamlets speaking about the dessert restaurants located in the borough, this includes; Creams, Sweets and Urban Chocolatier.

The client brief also stated that I must record 5, 30 seconds to 1-minute pieces of audio, the 5 extra audio I have recorded was; children playing, customer taking an order, café atmosphere, baby and mother playing and birds tweeting. I recorded children playing and added it in just before my cousins’ wife interview as it was done to set the tone for the audience and hear the story of a loving mother treating her kids to desserts, the sound of the children laughing/playing emphasised and complemented this story which would make the audience understand it. I recorded the café atmosphere and added it to the first interview with my friends to make it seem like we were actually in a café environment, this was done because I was able to collaborate it based on what the individuals were talking about and give the audience an insight and set the tone. The focus group really liked how the extra audio worked well with the dialogue of the interviewees.

In the first 2 interviews, the interviewees talk about them going out to the restaurants and ordering and eating food with their families and friends. Before radio segment moves on to the third interview, I wanted to give the audience a representation of how the atmosphere is like when a customer goes and makes an order but to also set the tone for the next interview as I interviewed a staff member in that same restaurant, I believe the customer taking an order made a huge impact towards my radio segment and the staff member interview that came after it made them compliment really well with each other.  

My radio is fit for purpose as I believe it will inform the audience about the dessert/café restaurants located and available in the borough. It will entertain the audiences to an extent as the addition of the audio will allow them to visualise some aspects the interviewees are talking about. It will also educate the audience as they will listen to three different people and understand how these dessert/café restaurants benefit the residents and will also educate them as to what Tower Hamlets has to offer and where they can explore and go to whenever they are in the borough.

I believe my radio segment is fit for the audience because in the client brief it is stated that the companies plan to unearth the stories of the existing communities in the area. I believe I have achieved this as in my radio segment I chose a topic where individuals go to socialise and have fun, whether its friends catching up or a mother taking her kids out. This also means that it is fit for the audience as audiences who listen to this would gain more insight to some restaurants located in the Tower Hamlets borough and if they are interested in what my radio segment is about they would want to try out the dessert restaurants mentioned.

I was able to include an intro and outro music to set the tone of the introduction of the host speaking and where the host says goodbye to the audience. I looked for an upbeat relaxing audio music and I had to make sure it was royalty-free, I was able to successfully find the music on AShamaluevMusic. I have exported my radio segment as an mp3 file, as it will be uploaded on the Tamasha and Coney website and will be available to audiences to digitally download.

Due to the fact that this podcast is called 'Locals' Guide to Brick Lane'. When my client will be creating their final podcast, I believe they will use some sections of my segment, in order to let their audiences know about the dessert/cafe restaurants located in the borough, and get the audiences to take a look or even eat at some of the places mentioned, this will allow the audience to see what's special about it and socialise with their friends and family. 
This is a screen capture of my project, with its edited sound.
With the feedback I have received, the main one was to make sure the cuts between the sound/interviews were smooth and not noticeable. In the screen capture above you can notice that there are tiny spaces in between some of the sounds, just that little thing made a huge difference to my product and I believe I should have either move the sounds slightly so that they overlap each other just a bit in order to allow the transition to run smoothly or improve it even more by adding the host to speak in between the interviews. This would make a huge difference to my final project as the transitions between each sound would run smoothly and not be noticeable and if I was to add the host speaking more it would add a personal element to the production and the audience would be able to have a sort of connection with the host. 

Overall, I believe due to following my pre-production documents efficiently, getting a lot of information from the interviewees and recording sound which compliments the interviewees speaking I was able to meet the identified purpose of this product but with the feedback that I have received from the clients I was able to take this in to consideration and understand a bigger impact it would have created for my product.  

Comments